Ideal Bedroom (Posted on March 27, 2017 by Dr.Himanshu Arora)
When we think of the word home in our mind the first thing that comes to our mind is that, it is a place where we can rest, relax and enjoy with our loved ones. As our homes say a lot about us., it is very essential for us to build a space where we can be rejuvenate ourselves.
While making our home, we can take care of our comfort and safety. So that we feel well rested when we are at our home.
Take a moment to think about the most peaceful, calm and treasured room at your home. Certainty its your bedroom. When I say bedroom , we have to make sure that it is welcoming , peaceful and definitely a place where you spend most of your time while you are at home.
Today, Let us talk about how to create an ideal bedroom:
An ideal bedroom is one in which you feel calm and rested, it should not be stimulating. On an average we spend 1/3 rd of our life sleeping which means daily 8-10 hours we are in our bedroom, relaxing and rejuvenating. It is the quality of our sleep and not just the quantity that is responsible to recharge our body and mind for the next day.
We have to make sure that our bedroom environment should be conducive for our quality sleeping experience.
Our bedroom should be neat, clean, dust free, moisture free and well ventilated to offer an inviting experience.
- While painting your bedroom we must always choose from soothing color themes like blue, green and white shades that are more pleasing and have a calming effect; avoid using bold and bright color theme colors shades like red.
BLUE COLOR PAINTED BEDROOM IS MOST CONDUCTIVE FOR SLEEP: STUDY
According to a 2013 study* conducted by Travelodge on 2000 British homes on the influence of bedroom color on quality and quantity of sleep.
- The study revealed, blue colored bedrooms are proven to enhance quality sleeping experience as blue is associated with offering feeling of calmness.
- Also helps in reducing heart rate and blood pressure.
Other colors that are conductive to sleep after blue are shades of yellow, green, silver and orange which are also seen to aid relaxation to the brain. Least conductive colors are purple brown and grey, theses are seen to have a stimulating effect on the brain, and impact sleep.
- Colors are seen by our eyes and through special cells in retina a signal is sent to the brain that tells the brain to make us sleepy or aroused
- 58% people feel that when they sleep in blue bedroom they wake up feeling happy
- 22% people feel positive after sleeping in bedroom with green colored walls
- 21% people felt silver color keep them motivated in morning
Colors also influence the mood.
- Furniture in your bedroom should be minimalistic , i.e few items that are required , de-cluttered that adds to a visually pleasant feeling.
- You can maintain a cooler bedroom environment as it facilitates sleep. Ideal temp should be 18-20 degrees
- Excessive noise in bedroom like traffic, music etc. interferes with sleep. Ensure the bedroom is quiet space, make sure that if outer noise is there your room is well insulated.
- Make it a technology free zone avoid keeping LED's, smart-phones and other electronic devices in your bedroom that has blue light which may suppress sleep inducing hormone.
- Light in bedroom should be dim as bright light may suppress your sleep inducing hormone and interfere with your sleep.
- Bedroom should be filled by light pleasant fragrance like lavender that has a conducive effect on good sleep.
- Your bed should be appropriate to your body type, dimensions.Its height and dimensions should be according to your requitements. Last but not the least, your mattress which is again the most important element in your bedroom as your bedding is your sleep partner.
Quality Sleep with Quality mattresses : National Sleep Foundation's 2012 Bedroom Poll
- 93% of people say that a comfortable mattress is important for good night sleep
- 86% rated comfortable feel of bedsheets & beddings are important for good sleep
- 62 % rate their own pillows are better than a quality hotel
Make sure it is just right for you and offer you a perfect blend of adequate comfort and support.
Your bedroom is the soul of your house, you can make it lively by taking right decisions, so that every morning you wake up fresh for a brighter day.